- Upcoming Dates:
- There is a sign-up in the orchestra room for students to fund-raise our Orchestra Valentine's Day Serenades before school, Starting January 23rd and going through February 6th. Students who sign up will be credited for whatever they fund-raise. Students should arrive to school by no later than 8:30am on the day that they sign up for (I will give them a pass to do so on their assigned day.) I will explain the procedure to students, in class.
- Sinfonia Orchestra (5th period) had a rehearsal on Friday, January 19th. The students who attended did a terrific job and had a good time.
- A letter was passed out at Sinfonia's rehearsal on Friday. It had information about their Pre-MPA Concert on Thursday, February 8th. Please return the half sheet of paper, signed (there is a little typo that says Winter Orchestra Concert that should say Pre-MPA Concert, so please just cross that part out or ignore that.) Thank you!
- In case you have been wondering, MPA stands for "Music Performance Assessment". It is a process where our orchestra will play three prepared pieces in order for three adjudicators to give us comments and scores. Then the students will have five minutes to study and prepare, without playing their instruments, and piece of music that they will see for the first time. An adjudicator will also leave comments and scores for that performance. It is a very enriching and rewarding experience for our orchestra students.
- T-shirts are in! Purchasing one is optional this year. It may be worn on Fridays at school as a club t-shirt. Each t-shirt is $15. You can pay in cash or make a check out to Mulberry Middle School (MMS). Include your student’s name on the memo line. You may purchase a t-shirt at the Winter Orchestra Concert on Friday, December 15th.
- We are no longer doing a Yankee Candle Fundraiser, this semester.
- All students and parents should have read through and signed the Orchestra Handbook at the beginning of the year (or whenever your student joined this class.) If you are unsure if you signed or not, I have a list of the signed forms that were turned in. I have extras if you would like a hard copy.
Feel like donating materials? I am looking for the following specifically:
A hole puncher
An electric pencil sharpener
Pencils (I am always running short)
If you happen to find any stickers that say Orchestra or Piano on them, I could use those
Different colors of ribbons or yarn (red, yellow, blue, green, gold, orange, purple, pink…)
- Does your student feel like they are behind in class, need a little extra help, or have some questions? They are always welcome to schedule tutoring with me. I am available most days after school, but I need to know when they are coming ahead of time. Every other week I have duty at 8:35am, but I am available to tutor on my off weeks. Next week I do not have duty before school.
- The signed last page of the Handbook, all materials (including an instrument), Instrumental Rental Contracts and the rental fee of $50 (if you are planning on renting a school instrument), Locker Use Agreement (if your student is planning on leaving an instrument in the Orchestra Room at any point, and an instrument are all due on Monday, August 21st. Cash or checks made payable to Mulberry Middle School are accepted.
- Essential Elements Book 1 for Periods 1 and 4 (Prelude or Beginning Orchestra) and Essential Elements Book 2 for Period 5 (Sinfonia or Advanced Orchestra) is required for at home practice. Books will be supplied for in class use. Here is one place you can purchase the book for $9.99: http://www.carltonmusic.com/c-242-orchestra-method-books.aspx